Our Sustainability Statement
Cornish Gems recognises the importance of environmental responsibility and we are committed as a business to operate sustainably and continually review and work towards becoming a fully sustainable operation.
We were honoured to be shortlisted for a Cornwall Sustainability Award in 2021 in the Carbon Neutral category.
Additionally, we have been awarded the coveted Silver Green Tourism Award. This internationally recognised accreditation was achieved after fulfilling numerous criteria within the stringent certification process. In particular our commitment to protect the Cornish area and landscape, working with the local community as well as the health and well being of our staff and guests scored strongly.
Our sustainability initiatives include:
Biodiversity: Tree Planting:
Through our various tree planting initiatives, including staff rewards, owner gifts and as a welcome gift option for our guests we have now planted more than 400 trees in 21 countries around the world. We can equate this to neutralising more than 2500 car journeys from across the UK into Cornwall.
Waste Reduction and Responsible Local Product Sourcing: Welcome Gifts
We undertook to revamp our welcome packs post-Covid. Our goals were to support Cornish producers and suppliers, to minimise food miles, to reduce the waste of unwanted products, to remove unnecessary journeys from the distribution process, and finally to also offer our guests luxurious, local and sustainable choices.
The solution we arrived at was to give our guests 6 options that they could select from within the booking process and amend within their guest accounts up until 4 weeks prior to arrival.
Single Use Plastic Reduction and Coastal Protection: Charity of the Year, Cornish Gems Shop
Every year Cornish Gems select a ‘Charity of the Year’, in 2021 we voted for ‘Surfers Against Sewage’. Our guests can opt to add a donation to their booking of £2 - £25, so far this year, we have raised over £2000.
In addition we have emphasised the importance of reducing our reliance on single use plastic and promoted sustainable alternatives via our Cornish Gems Shop and social media, including a competition to win a wooden bellyboard in return for a pledge to ‘leave only your footprints.’
Our Sustainability Initiatives:
- Reducing waste from our Welcome Gifts by offering guests choices and removing refrigerated items from the gift. This enabled us to implement a more efficient delivery service with a lower carbon footprint.
- We have opted for Cornish products that are sustainably packaged for our Welcome Gifts. This reduces the carbon footprint of the Welcome Gift, minimises plastic waste and supports local businesses.
- We have stopped supplying toiletries in single-use plastic containers in our properties where we manage the changeovers.
- We annually select a local charity to fundraise for and inform our guests about.
- Our office has reduced its power usage with the installation of a smart meter and timer plugs and we do not use bottled water coolers.
- We offer a tree planting option to our guests in lieu of a Welcome Pack.
- We operate a cycle to work scheme assisting employees with a bike purchase.
- We have an online shop that sells plastic-free and sustainable living items.
- We re-use received packaging to protect the products being posted.
- We promote environmental responsibility via our Cornish Gems social media posts.
- Our housekeepers and our office cleaners use plant-based non toxic cleaning products where possible.
- We re-cycle cleaning product bottles and encourage staff to recycle theirs for the office / use concentrated products to reduce plastic.
- We organise travel routes to eliminate unnecessary journeys.
- We promote a paper-free office and have a comprehensive recycling programme.
- Working from home / car sharing / recycling / using local environmental-friendly suppliers (ie linen, welcome gifts, printers)